Sunday, May 06, 2007

Part 3: The Real Action
So, a C-Section it was. We were terrified but we knew it was the best thing for you because they thought your heart rate was not recovering as well as it had been after the contractions. The worst part was that Daddy wasn’t allowed in the room for what seemed like forever while they prepped me for the procedure. I think it actually took about 15 minutes but it was incredibly scary in this too bright, too loud room where lots of people were doing things to me that I couldn’t see because they blocked my line of sight with a gown. Also, I hated the anesthesia. So, I was left with the not-so-friendly resident, the one who placed my epidural, for comfort and his very difficult to understand (due to broken English) boss. The resident pulled out what seemed to be his best comfort tactics but they consisted of patting me on the head. His boss took over by holding one of my freakishly shaky hands and telling me about all the other women who had C-Sections before me. Let’s just say I was hugely relieved when Daddy came back and I think I about broke his hand. The only down side to Daddy’s return was that he looked scared. And on top of that, he looked like he was trying to hide that he was scared.

During the procedure I didn’t feel much of anything, not even the pulling sensation some women describe. I think they had me super-drugged because I was so scared of having surgery. However, as I mentioned, I hated the anesthesia—it was too weird that I couldn’t feel my body and it made me nauseous. So there was more vomiting and some very expensive oral medication (anesthesia boss mentioned the cost prior to administering it) to help nausea that I promptly spit out. Thankfully, it was not very long before we got our reward.

The room had been fairly silent and suddenly (at 4:52 p.m.) we heard a good cry. You were here! I remember the doctors saying two things: “She looks surprised.” and “There’s no way she would have fit through there.” They rushed you over to the work area where they did your Apgar tests (they were good by the way—8 and 9) and started cleaning you up. Before they were finished, they called Daddy over to see you. He had been so worried about making sure that I was okay, that he forgot to rush over. He took pictures but didn’t realize that he probably could’ve held you. He often mentions that if he could do it all over again, he would have cuddled you up right away.

They finally finished with their testing and brought you over to me, all bundled up and sleepy. The nurse basically just brought you by my face and let me kiss you and then dashed you off to the nursery. They were all in a twit about getting you on a cardiac monitor because of Daddy’s WPW. Daddy then stayed with me while they finished the procedure, which felt like it took longer than the birth part. This picture shows what you looked like by the time I got to see you since I couldn't get up and go over to the work area.

No comments: